Chabad in Safed
|Chabad Community in Tzfat. one of city's largest communities, the Chabad Hassidim, maintain a large infrastructure in Tzfat.
 Chabad Lubavitch
Shneur Zalman of Liadi founded the Chabad Hassidic movement in the 18th century and his son, Dov Ber, subsequently moved it to the town of “Lubavitch” in White Russia from which the group got its name. Followers of this Hassidic group are known alternately as “Lubavitch” and “Chabad” Hassidim. “Chabad” is an acronym of the Lubavitch philosophy -- “Chochma” -- wisdom -- “Bina” -- understanding -- and “Da’at” -- knowledge.
 Origins of Chabad in Tzfat
Rabbi Dov Ber’s son-in-law, Menachem Mendel Schneersohn was also the grandson of Shneur Zalman of Liadai. Rabbi Menachem Mendel, the “Tzemach Tzedek” assumed the leadership of the Chabad movement in the early years of the 19th century and encouraged his Hassidim to move to Israel. He also stressed the importance of acquiring land for Jews in the Holy Land and, under his leadership, his Hassidim purchased a plot in the eastern section of the Old Jewish Quarter of Tzfat on Hatam Sofer Street in 1820. Here, his followers built the Tzemach Tzedek synagogue.
 Chabad Residents of Safed
The Chabad community of Safed remained small. Some members left when the Tzemach Tzedek asked his followers in Tzfat to move to Hebron to strengthen the Jewish community in that city. The revival of Tzfat’s Chabad community began in the early 1970s when the 7th Lubavitch Rebbe, Rebbe Menachem Mendel Schneerson, directed a nucleus of his followers to establish a Chabad community in Tzfat.
 Kiryat Chabad
These early Chabad families built a strong infrastructure in the Cannan neighborhood of Tzfat. They established “Kiryat Chabad” -- Chabad-town -- a network of apartments, schools and other religious institutions that serve the Chabad community as well as any outsiders who wish to use the facilities. A “Beit Chabad” -- Chabad House -- was opened to provide hospitality to visitors and religious services for local residents. Chabad outreach efforts include visits to the local Old Age Home, hospital visits, operating holiday and synagogue services for people who cannot leave their homes or neighborhoods.
A number of Chabad organizations provide varying services to Tzfat residents and visitors.
 Kollel Chabad
The Kollel Chabad is the oldest continuously operating charity organization in Israel. Rabbi Schneur Zalman of Liadi established the charity in 1788 to assist impoverished Jews living in Israel. The Tzfat branch of Kollel Chabad, Eshel Binyomin, operates Tzfat’s largest soup kitchen. In addition to its on-site facility on HaMeginim Street in the Old Jewish Quarter of the city, Eshel Binyomin provides prepared meals for indigent residents who cannot reach the soup kitchen. Eshel Binyomin also prepares sandwiches for Tzfat schoolchildren whose parents do not have the means to send them to school with a sandwich each day.
Ascent is a Jewish identity program which offers hostel facilities, classes, an open library and Shabbat/holiday home hospitality to Jewish travelers of all ages. Ascent’s staff directs its programs towards unaffiliated Jewish adults who are interested in exploring their heritage.
 Machon Alte
The Machon Alte Seminary of Tzfat is a women’s seminary which provides a warm and welcoming environment for young women who are interested in studying Judaism, Torah and Hassidic philosohy. The seminary runs programs for post-high school girls, the Chaya Mushka Seminary, as well as classes for women who have little Jewish background but want to study Judaism in a religious Hassidic environment.
 Torat Eretz Yisrael
The Torat Eretz Yisrael Yeshivah is one of Chabad’s flagship yeshivas for teenaged boys in Israel. The yeshivah is located in the building that once housed the well-known Ridbaz yeshivah, on Jerusalem Street. Torat Eretz Yisrael offers a yeshivah framework with nearby dorm facilities for Hebrew-speaking teenaged boys and young adult men.