Abuhav Synagogue

From Zissil
Jump to: navigation, search

Warning: You are not logged in.

Your IP address will be recorded in this page's edit history.
The edit can be undone. Please check the comparison below to verify that this is what you want to do, and then save the changes below to finish undoing the edit.
Latest revision Your text
Line 1: Line 1:
 
{{Infobox
 
{{Infobox
 
|title = Abuhav Synagogue
 
|title = Abuhav Synagogue
|image        = [[File:00000155-courtyard-abuhav-synagogue.jpg|215px|alt=Abuhav Synagogue]]
+
|image        = [[File:Saba-yisroel-dov-odeser-holding-petek.jpg|215px|alt=Example alt text]]
|header1 = Hebrew:
+
|header1 = Spelling:
|data2 = בית כנסת אבוהב צפת
+
|data2  = Abuhov,Aboab
|header3 = Spelling:
+
|header3 = Other Names
|data4 = Abuhov, Aboab
+
|data4   = text text text
|header5 = Other Names:
+
|header5 = Defination:
|data6   = Abuhav Shul, Abuhav Beit Knesset, The Blue Synagogue
+
|data6   = Defination text Defination text
|header7 = Description:
+
|data8   = Old synagogue in Safed, Israel.
+
 
}}
 
}}
  
The '''Abuhav Synagogue''' is located in [[Safed|Tzfat]], Northern Israel. It was originally created during the 16th Century and named after Rabbi Yitzchak Abuhav. Its Ark contains an ancient and very holy Torah scroll personally written by Rabbi Abuhav. During both the [[Safed 1759 Earthquake|1759]] and [[Safed 1837 Earthquake|1837]] earthquakes the  Abuhav Synagogue was almost completely destroyed aside from the area surrounding the Torah Ark. Its construction contains a lot of Kabbalistic symbolism. During the [[Safed Second Lebanon War|Second Lebanon War]] a katyusha exploded right near the Abuhav Synagogue but it was left undamaged. It is one of the oldest [[Tzfat Synagogues|synagogues in Safed]] and is currently a [[Safed-Tourism|tourist attraction]] for the city's visitors. Minyonim using Nusach Edot HaMizrach take place daily in the Abuhav Synagogue as well as Shabbot services.
+
[[File:00000145 entering abuhav synagogue.jpg|thumb|180px|right|Entering the courtyard.]]('''Hebrew:''' בית כנסת אבוהב צפת / '''Spelling:''' Abuhov, Aboab / '''Other Names:''' Abuhav Shul, Abuhav Beit Knesset, The Blue Synagogue / '''Definition:''' Old synagogue in Safed, Israel)
 +
 
 +
The Abuhav Synagogue is located in [[Safed|Tzfat]], Northern Israel. It was originally created during the 16th Century and named after Rabbi Yitzchak Abuhav. It is one of the oldest [[Tzfat Synagogues|synagogues in Safed]] and is currently a tourist attraction for the city's visitors. Minyonim take place daily in the Abuhav Synagogue as well as Shabbot services.
  
 
== Origins==
 
== Origins==
Line 20: Line 20:
 
=== Destruction and Relocation===
 
=== Destruction and Relocation===
  
[[File:00000156 earthquake ruins abuhov synagogue.jpg|thumb|180px|right|Ruins from original structure.]]The original Abuhav synagogue was built in 15th century [[Old City Safed|Jewish Quarter]], above the cemetery. It was destroyed during the [[Safed 1759 Earthquake|1759 earthquake]] aside from the area containing the Toarh ark. Survivors moved the Abuhav Torah scroll, which had remained intact, to a safer area and rebuilt the Abuhav synagogue further up the mountain. Others maintain the position that the Abuhav Shul never moved and it was rebuilt in its original location after the earthquake.
+
[[File:00000156 earthquake ruins abuhov synagogue.jpg|thumb|180px|right|Ruins from original structure.]]The original Abuhav synagogue was built in the existing 15th century [[Old City Safed|Jewish Quarter]], near the cemetery. After it was destroyed in the [[Safed 1759 Earthquake|1759 earthquake]], survivors moved the Abuhav Torah scroll, which had remained intact, to a safer area and rebuilt the Abuhav synagogue further up the mountain. Others maintain the position that the Abuhav Shul never moved and it was rebuilt in its original location after the earthquake.
  
 
The Abuhav synagogue was again almost completely destroyed in the [[Safed 1837 Earthquake|1837 earthquake]] that leveled the town. The wall holding the Ark and the synagogue’s Torah scrolls, including Rabbi Abuhav’s Torah scroll, remained standing. Several years after the earthquake an Italian philanthropist, Yitzhak Gueta, committed funds to rebuild the Abuhov synagogue. He brought in architects, builders and craftsmen to create a beautiful shul. Care was taken to reconstruct the Abuhav synagogue with similar design and dimensions of the original building.
 
The Abuhav synagogue was again almost completely destroyed in the [[Safed 1837 Earthquake|1837 earthquake]] that leveled the town. The wall holding the Ark and the synagogue’s Torah scrolls, including Rabbi Abuhav’s Torah scroll, remained standing. Several years after the earthquake an Italian philanthropist, Yitzhak Gueta, committed funds to rebuild the Abuhov synagogue. He brought in architects, builders and craftsmen to create a beautiful shul. Care was taken to reconstruct the Abuhav synagogue with similar design and dimensions of the original building.
  
 
== Construction and Style==
 
== Construction and Style==
 +
 
The Abuhav synagogue was constructed in the style of a Sepharadi synagogue and contains much Kabalistic symbolism in its design and structure.
 
The Abuhav synagogue was constructed in the style of a Sepharadi synagogue and contains much Kabalistic symbolism in its design and structure.
  
 
=== Torah Scrolls and Arks===
 
=== Torah Scrolls and Arks===
[[File:00000145 entering abuhav synagogue.jpg|thumb|180px|right|Entering the courtyard.]] There are three Torah Arks in the Abuhav synagogue standing along the southern wall facing Jerusalem. Rabbi Yitzchak Abuhav’s Torah scroll, along with a scroll written by Rabbi Suliman Ochana, is still housed in the same Ark which survived the 1837 earthquake. Congregants only take out the Abuhav scroll on three specific Jewish holidays, [[Rosh Hashanah]], Yom Kippur and Shavouth. Two other Arks sit alongside the right Ark containing the Rabbi Abuhav scroll. In the left Ark, old manuscripts and books are stored while the center Ark holds the Torah scrolls used during the rest of the year. During the era when the Turks ruled Israel, Turkish law stated that any non-Islamic place of prayer must also hold a copy of the Koran. Therefore, during Turkish rule, one Ark held the Koran.
+
 
 +
There are three Torah Arks in the Abuhav synagogue standing along the southern wall facing Jerusalem. Rabbi Yitzchak Abuhav’s Torah scroll, along with a scroll written by Rabbi Suliman Ochana, is still housed in the same Ark which survived the 1837 earthquake. Congregants only take out the Abuhav scroll on three specific Jewish holidays, [[Rosh Hashanah]], Yom Kippur and Shavouth. Two other Arks sit alongside the right Ark containing the Rabbi Abuhav scroll. In the left Ark, old manuscripts and books are stored while the center Ark holds the Torah scrolls used during the rest of the year. During the era when the Turks ruled Israel, Turkish law stated that any non-Islamic place of prayer must also hold a copy of the Koran. Therefore, during Turkish rule, one Ark held the Koran.
  
 
Great care is taken never to remove the Abuhav scroll aside from the three allotted times. When the scroll was moved in the wake of the 1759 earthquake, all ten volunteers involved, passed away within that year.
 
Great care is taken never to remove the Abuhav scroll aside from the three allotted times. When the scroll was moved in the wake of the 1759 earthquake, all ten volunteers involved, passed away within that year.
Line 36: Line 38:
 
=== The Bima===
 
=== The Bima===
  
[[File:00000231 abuhav courtyard safed.jpg|thumb|180px|right|Far end of the courtyard.]]The “Bima” -- the area where the person leading the prayers stands -- is elevated in the center of the men’s section of the Abuhav synagogue. There are six steps leading up to the bima, representing the six days of the week which lead up to the week’s “crown”, the Sabbath.  
+
The “Bima” -- the area where the person leading the prayers stands -- is elevated in the center of the men’s section of the Abuhav synagogue. There are six steps leading up to the bima, representing the six days of the week which lead up to the week’s “crown”, the Sabbath.  
  
 
=== Chair of Eliyaho===
 
=== Chair of Eliyaho===
Line 48: Line 50:
 
=== Women’s Section===
 
=== Women’s Section===
  
The women’s section is upstairs and women have a separate door from the back that leads them to their area.
+
The women’s section is upstairs and women have a separate door that leads them to their area.
  
 
=== Ceiling===
 
=== Ceiling===
Line 56: Line 58:
 
== Location and Services==   
 
== Location and Services==   
  
The Abuhav synagogue is located on Abuhav Street. It has daily “minyans” -- prayer quorums -- including a “Netz” early morning minyan. The congregants at the Abuhav Shul follow Sepharadi Nusach Edot HaMizrach prayer traditions. During the month of “[[Elul]]” preceding [[Rosh Hashanah]] (the Jewish New Year) and in the [[Ten Days of Repentance|days between]] Rosh Hashana and Yom Kippur, many visitors come to Abuhav throughout the night to experience the moving “Slichot” penitence prayers.
+
The Abuhav synagogue is located on Abuhav Street. It has daily “minyans” -- prayer quorums -- including a “Netz” early morning minyan. The congregants at the Abuhav Shul follow Sepharadi prayer traditions. During the month of “[[Elul]]” preceding [[Rosh Hashanah]] (the Jewish New Year) and in the [[Ten Days of Repentance|days between]] Rosh Hashana and Yom Kippur, many visitors come to Abuhav throughout the night to experience the moving “Slichot” penitence prayers.
  
 
== Lebanon War==
 
== Lebanon War==
Line 62: Line 64:
 
The Abuhav Synagogue experienced a modern-day miracle during the [[Safed Second Lebanon War|2006 Second Lebanon War]]. The Abuhav Shul is two doors away from the [[Alsheich Synagogue Safed|Alsheich Synagogue]]. A katyusha rocket landed in-between the two synagogues, alongside the Abuhav’s southern wall. The building where the rocket landed was completely destroyed but neither the Abuhav’s Torah scrolls nor the Alsheich, the oldest standing synagogue in Tzfat, were affected.
 
The Abuhav Synagogue experienced a modern-day miracle during the [[Safed Second Lebanon War|2006 Second Lebanon War]]. The Abuhav Shul is two doors away from the [[Alsheich Synagogue Safed|Alsheich Synagogue]]. A katyusha rocket landed in-between the two synagogues, alongside the Abuhav’s southern wall. The building where the rocket landed was completely destroyed but neither the Abuhav’s Torah scrolls nor the Alsheich, the oldest standing synagogue in Tzfat, were affected.
  
 +
{{Navbox
 +
|name      = Testtemp
 +
|title      = Title Here
 +
|state      = uncollapsed
 +
|listclass  = hlist
  
{{Tzfat Synagogues}}
+
|group1    = group1
{{Safed Spelling}}
+
|list1      = list1 testing test
{{Safed History}}
+
 
{{Kivrei Tzadikim}}
+
|group2    = group2
 +
|list2      = list2 testing test
 +
 
 +
|group3    = group3
 +
|list3      = list3 testing test
 +
}}
  
 
[[Category:Old Synagogues]]
 
[[Category:Old Synagogues]]
 
[[Category:Safed]]
 
[[Category:Safed]]
[[Category:Kivray Tzadikim]]
 

By adding content or making edits to this page you are agreeing to give full, complete and permanent rights of this content to Zissil.com. You are also verifying that this is unique content that has not been copied from any other source and is not copyright protected.

Cancel | Editing help (opens in new window)
 
PrivacyDisclaimer Terms of Use
Share |
Share |
 
Personal tools
Namespaces
Variants
Actions
ZissilSidebarMenu
Navigation
Toolbox